Cryptocurrency is one of the hottest thing in finance right now, and for good reason. The world’s top cryptocurrencies have absolutely skyrocketed this year, with the global market peaking at $179 billion, according to CoinMarketCap.
That being said, the market for cryptocurrency remains highly volatile. For example, the market shed $65 billion through the first two weeks of September after China moved to ban initial coin offerings (ICOs) and bitcoin exchanges.
Below is a list of the ten largest cryptocurrencies by market capitalization. As you can see, all ten of these tokens have a market cap of $1 billion or more.
- Market Cap: $61.3 billion
- Current Price: $3,700.00
- The preeminent Bitcoin leads the cryptocurrency asset class. It was founded in 2008 by Satoshi Nakamoto, the pseudonym of a person or entity who designed the original blockchain protocol.
- Market Cap: $26.9 billion
- Current Price: $284.00
- Ethereum is a decentralized platform that has gained tremendous mainstream appeal for its technical specifications, smart contracts and role in facilitating initial coin offerings (ICOs).
Bitcoin Cash (BCH)
- Market Cap: $7 billion
- Current Price: $422.00
- On 1 August, Bitcoin Cash forked from the original Bitcoin to form its own cryptocurrency. In other words, Bitcoin essentially split into two, giving us BCH. The new coin operates a different software with its own rules and blockchain.
- Market Cap: $6.7 billion
- Current Price $0.175
- Released in 2012, Ripple is a cryptocurrency built on a distributed open source Internet protocol, consensus ledger and native currency called XRP. It has many of the same characteristics as the major cryptocurrencies.
- Market Cap: $2.5 billion
- Current Price: $336.00
- Dash offers many of the same features as Bitcoin, but specializes in instant transactions and private transactions. The system launched in 2014.
- Market Cap: $2.5 billion
- Current Price: $48.00
- Launched five years ago, Litecoin is widely considered to be the silver to Bitcoin’s gold. Litecoin has some technical improvements over Bitcoin, but essentially serves the same function.
- Market Cap: $1.9 billion
- Current Price: $0.217
- NEM is one of the newest digital coins to crack the top-ten list. Founded in 2015, NEM has introduced new features to the blockchain market, including the proof-of-importance algorithm and encrypted messaging.
- Market Cap: $1.5 billion
- Current Price: $0.530
- IOTA is said to combine the attributes of cryptocurrency, blockchain and the Internet of Things (IOT) into a powerful digital token. As the IOT phenomenon explodes, IOTA could be poised for bigger gains.
- Market Cap: $1.4 billion
- Current Price: $90.00
- Created in 2014, Monero is another popular cryptocurrency focused on privacy and scalability. It runs on Windows, Mac, Linux and Android.
Ethereum Classic (ETC)
- Market Cap: $1 billion
- Current Price: $10.00
- Ethereum Classic came on to the scene in 2015 as a result of disagreement over The DAO Hard Fork. A segment of the Ethereum network rejected The DAO protocols on philosophical grounds, leading to the hard fork.
 Cryptocurrency Market Capitalizations. CoinMarketCap.com.